Our first Women’s Rally took place on 25 November 1999. The 25 November is International Day for No Violence Against Women and children and also the start of the 16 Days of Activism of no violence against women and children in South Africa. The women’s rallies became an annual event in Cape Town.
On 25 November 2001 we introduced the annual White Ribbon Awards at our Women’s Rally. More information regarding the awards can be found on this website.
The Women’s Rally was discontinued in 2004.
The first Women’s Rally was made possible by the following people. We thank them for their generosity.
• Norwegian Church Aid – for their abundant and unrelenting support of WDD
• South African Breweries (SAB) – for their generous sponsorship of our T-shirts
• Parker Pens – for supplying the fabulous awards
• Hilary Adams of Signature Ink – for the beautiful Award Certificates
• Petals Florist – for the incredible ribbon of flowers
• Pick ‘n Pay – for the catering
• Fuel Design – for the design of the Women’s Rally flyers and posters
• Jon Muller – for designing the original webpage (http://www.whiteribbon.co.za)
• Shoprite/Checkers – for the printing of our posters
• Golden Arrow Bus Service – for easing our transport needs
• Peninsula Beverages (Coke) – for their event stage
To every person who gave up their time to make the WDD Women’s Rally’s mean something and to show the rest of the country that we will be heard and that together we can make a difference – THANK YOU!